Thursday, August 11, 2022

Theater Kid

Inspirational song: Dancing With Tears in My Eyes (Ultravox)

As we got more and more sick of hearing Moana and Encanto over and over every day, we started begging Valerie to watch something, anything else. Several weeks ago, I played Frozen for her, and she did get a little twinkle in her eye when she paid attention to Let It Go for the first time. Sometime in the last month, she fully gelled around this movie. She asks for it now, and since yesterday, she has been videotaped and witnessed running around re-enacting scenes from it. Her little voice mumbling lines, with only the word "Elsa" coming through clearly is the cutest thing I can imagine right now. She especially likes the scene where Anna and Elsa are little kids, and Anna wakes Elsa up to go play with her snow magic. She performs full scenes as Anna, with either her bear or her brother as Elsa, depending on who is handy. The photos that came in today were instantly recognizable as that scene, even as out of context as they were.

We have long known that this child has a special affinity for music. With her sudden penchant for performing entire scenes and songs from movies and plays, I realize the new thing we need to consider is maybe her path won't be through marching band (as grandma and auntie would like), but possibly through musical theater. I can't wait to show her things like The Music Man, Grease, or West Side Story, to evaluate her reaction to them. Once she figures out she could seriously participate in performances of these things for real, I bet you dollars to donuts that she will be hooked.

For the record, yes, I am avidly following the news this week. There is a whole heck of a lot, and I may be ready to comment on current events in the next day or two. You know I avoid that in this space, sticking to very personal, local stories instead. But when events are really meaningful, I will break those rules to chime in. I shall be watching and mulling it over.

No comments:

Post a Comment