Saturday, August 13, 2022

Mi Time

Inspirational song: I Think We're Alone Now (Tommy James and the Shondells)

My first solo flight was this evening. Not a real airplane flight or anything unexpected. It was just me and baby Dmitri on our own while Papa was in the mountains and his mama, daddy, and big sister went to check out the county fair. For the most part, we did exceptionally well. He fussed a little, but agreed to calm down with a touch of extra attention. The boy is a hearty eater, a prolific pooper, and a skillful cuddler. When I held him upright or on his belly against my chest, he showed great strength working on lifting his big baby head. We are still figuring out how to use face muscles, so while I got plenty of looks of concern or surprise, I have not yet gotten a wide smile. He hasn't been out in the air for a whole four weeks thus far, so I won't rush him. I'll just watch closely for the first smile he has for his grandma. I'm sure mommy will get the first one of all.

I hear Val had fun at the fair, even though she was too small to ride any rides. She wanted to go on the Ferris wheel ("fire wheel"), but even that requires her to be a little bigger. So they walked around and got her snacks, which seemed to be good enough this time. I was told she was having a great time getting powdered sugar all over herself while eating funnel cake, but she wasn't so sure she wanted any caramel apple. That is, until mommy finally got her to try a nibble. Then she swiped the stick and that was Valerie's apple from then on.

I didn't get any photos from this evening, as I was too busy holding that wiggly baby to fiddle with my phone. But I got a couple while I was over at their house this afternoon. He is getting much bigger and more baby-like. So far his hair is staying dark and not showing signs of falling out like most newborn hair does. Maybe he will keep it. And as his newborn puffy face has faded, he is revealing what may be an epic nose. It will make for a wonderfully interesting face, and I am here for that. This kid will be every bit as cute as his big sister, yet absolutely unique in his own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment