Monday, August 17, 2020

Catch Up

Inspirational song: You Better You Bet (The Who)

It should not be surprising to me how little routine maintenance gets done when the grandbaby is here. There's a reason the kids ask me to come over once in a while to hold the baby while they clean house. She takes all the attention available, convincing us that she must be touching a human at all times. So nothing but Baby is allowed to occur in her presence. I've had to play catch-up ever since she went home yesterday, and I just now, at bedtime, feel like I'm getting back up to speed.

With the baby in arms, I couldn't even do computer work to build the file and calendar for the new contract. I can't begin to picture how offended she would be while I downloaded all the disclosures and sent them up to the HQ, paying closer attention to a laptop than a baby face. All that is done now, as is another big jump forward in house cleaning. I can pretend this feeling of being on top of it, and the relaxed attitude that brings, will last, but it won't. Baby will be back mid-week, and the cycle will start all over again.

I've pulled up the tiny little cradle, in favor of the play mat the kids brought over. I figure in another three months, we will swap for a playpen, in the same spot. Dino is growing quickly (although exactly on schedule). The cats adapted quickly from assuming the cradle was for them, to taking turns on the play mat. Jackie gave me a smug look when she took it over this morning, and in my head I could hear that movie with the Somali pirate threatening Tom Hanks as the boat captain. She looked me right in the eye as if to say, "Look at me. I am Baby now." If there is a playpen by autumn, will they sleep in that too?

No comments:

Post a Comment