Friday, August 14, 2020

Coming Attractions

Inspirational song: The Government Totally Sucks (Tenacious D)

Y'all.

I have been keeping a secret a full week, and it has been killing me. But now that I have told all the stakeholders, and insiders who should hear this first, I am ready to let the cat out of the bag. Or dog, really.

More than two years have passed since Bump died, and after a proper mourning period, I started thinking about who the next dog might be. I have been dog mad for ages, and trying so hard to wait until there was another opening here. It has been over a year since Rabbit died, and I think between Rab and Bump, there is a large hole in my heart, and it's ready to be filled. And conveniently, my daughter showed me pictures of large puppies who needed homes. I asked to see a girl puppy who would be available for adoption, and they sent me a face I fell in love with instantly. She was still just a bean in the initial picture, and in a week, she has grown so much. I haven't experienced a moment of doubt that she is my girl.

The pups won't be ready to leave their mama for two months yet. So mine will be coming home to me on my birthday. After being miffed at me for a solid day for making the decision to move forward without his input, the Mr is mellowing enough to have put me in touch with one of his old military buddies who is a professional dog trainer. And this is a very good thing, because this dog isn't going to be just a pet. I have come to understand that eventually my autoimmune conditions will progress to the point where a service dog will be a huge help. Since I don't have tens of thousands of dollars to drop on an already-trained service dog, I have to grow one myself. It makes sense to me to start now, while I still have some ability to do so. It won't be cheap, but it will cost a lot less to do it this way. Plus, I need to bring her in while she is a baby, so the cats consider her less of a threat. Athena can be a jerk, to say the least.

The pup is coming from the Tenacious Unicorn Ranch, in Southern Colorado. I spend a lot of time watching their Twitter feed for new photos and videos of the big pile of puppies. They are giant white fluff balls, with varying degrees of black and gray accents. Mine is one of two with the most speckled gray on their heads and front legs, and black ears. She has an all white butt, while her matching brother has a black ring at the base of his tail. While shopping for cat food tonight, I found the perfect collar for her, to honor the place of her birth. It's pale blue with rainbows and unicorns on it. Perfection!

But while I wait, I just play with the little girl who will grow up hand-in-paw with the new puppy. She was a rock star when they dropped by tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment