Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Schedules

Inspirational song: Sweet Caroline (Neil Diamond)

Nearly four weeks into the "adrenal support" phase of this restrictive diet, and six weeks in overall, I'm really suffering for lack of coffee and dairy. Every time I walk past our coffee bar area, I can smell it, and I curse and moan. I want to eat cheese so badly that life feels like punishment. I keep making plans for all the cheese and butter I'm going to consume once I can switch to plain old keto from this autoimmune torture. I'm supposed to give up eggs, nightshades, nuts, and seeds next, and stay off them for six to twelve weeks. Are they serious? Right when my tomatoes will finally ripen? I may die.

Oddly, giving up sugar hasn't bothered me once.

The kids came over, to my surprise. Apparently right as they started their walk with the baby, the Mr called and asked for some help and leverage putting his truck together for the rally coming up this weekend. I held Dino some, and her mama and I chatted and played with her as she let us. It wasn't until almost nine pm that we realized none of us had eaten, and I had to think quickly. I had been thawing ground beef, and I used a vegetable peeler to shave strips of zucchini from the garden (reluctantly eating the one that looked like a swan), to make noodles. I used spaghetti sauce from a jar, so I got a little sugar, but my real sin was throwing in the towel on cheese. I mounded a huge handful of mozzarella on my dinner. I couldn't help it.

The adrenal phase doesn't seem to have changed me a whole lot, with one big exception. I have gotten accustomed to going to bed much earlier (almost always before midnight) and falling asleep faster (under an hour). So when the kids were here until past eleven, I started dragging. I drove them home (they had walked with the stroller), and now I feel like I have to dive headfirst into bed to keep up my routine. It's weird having this sort of discipline. I hope it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment