Monday, September 7, 2020

Anne Eve

Inspirational song: Anticipation (Carly Simon)

I'm trying to play a game, sitting in my favorite chair in the living room. I keep getting distracted, looking out the front window. The wind has been picking up for an hour or two, and the temps are dropping precipitously. We are sliding into my favorite day of the year, the first really cold, wet day of September, and I am totally here for it.

Now, obviously it is a little earlier and a little stronger than the typical "My Day." Usually it is just foggy and drizzly and makes a person think about snow. This time we are actually supposed to get it. I will still drink hot chocolate, wear long sleeves, and snuggle under a soft, fuzzy blanket. I won't have to revisit the regret that I bought a house with no fireplace (although that agony is never far away), because everything already smells like wood smoke from the Cameron Peak fire. I am sure enough neighbors will use their fireplaces to intensify the smell.

I tried to do some harvesting before the heavy, wet snow does its worst to our garden. I picked as many ripe tomatoes as I could find, plus a big handful of large green ones to fry this week. There were only a few golden zucchini left to bring in. Those are probably done for the year, and the peppers were almost played out. I mostly filled a bag with tomatillos, so I'm thinking it will be green chile to share for D&D night. When the Mr got back from his cabin, he pulled in what I missed, including a pie pumpkin and two acorn squash. I think we did okay this year. I need to go out in the rain/snow tomorrow before the hard freeze, and get the rhubarb, but since I was planning to freeze it anyway, I'm not too worried about it. I got a little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment