Friday, September 18, 2020

Packed and Ready

Inspirational song: The Puppy Song (Harry Nilsson)

It feels wrong to be anticipating great joy on a night when millions of people are reeling from the loss of a giant of the judiciary. I note the passing of RBG, but for all that I admire the heck out of her, I have no original contributions to add to the national discussion. 

Instead, my head is filled with thoughts of dog (nod to the great Twitter account). I leave early tomorrow to drive to the southern part of the state, not far from the Great Sand Dunes national monument, to pick up Saoirse. Finally! I have waited a long time for her. Longer than you might realize, even. I grieved when Bump died, two and a half years ago. But then my heart healed, and I started having little bursts of hope that there will be another puppy in my life someday. As time went by, the desire for a puppy grew and grew, until the dream became an obsession. I tried to fight it, knowing we still had a house full. But as my mother said, "you'll know your dog when you see her." It was so true. I got one glimpse of a photo, and I knew in an instant that it was her, the one I was searching for.

I worry about being so sure from only photos and video, but I do believe she is the one. Tomorrow I will be with her and I expect to have my hopes confirmed. 

I have packed as if I were going away for the whole weekend. I have snacks and drinks for me and my daughter, plus a whole collection of things for Saoirse: toys, food, water, a collar, a leash, a carrier, and cleaning supplies. I hope she does well in the car. If not, it won't be for lack of preparation on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment