Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Bonding

Inspirational song: Words (Missing Persons)

The moment I saw photos of three week old Saoirse, I recognized her in an instant. I knew she was the puppy I had been watching for these last two years. The more I live with her, the more I see exactly how right I was. This is not to say she came to me mature and fully trained. She is very much a puppy. But she is the right one. She is gentle and funny and smart. She is just begging for good training. As soon as I have her shots set up at the vet, I will register for an in-person puppy class, and advance her past the basics we know so far (sit, pay attention to my face, spin, lie down, and "free").

We traveled again today. It was game night, and two members of our group have a new house, where our game was. They only have one cat, who was hiding when we came over, so I was granted permission to bring Saoirse. She charmed the group. She cuddled and played and slept. When she needed to potty, she made it very clear, and we went out into the grass and got it done. The car ride there and back was pretty good. She was calm on the way, and was tired on the way home. She got a little anxious about half a mile from the house. But overall, it went well.

To be honest, I did walk in just now to find her on the rug next to my bed, with my CPAP mask in her mouth. Not the best behavior. But her mouth is remarkably gentle for a baby, and there doesn't appear to be damage. Luckily, I haven't opened the package with the replacement mask, so if there are holes I didn't see, I'm covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment