Monday, September 28, 2020

Voluntarily

Inspirational song: Don't Rock the Boat (The Hughes Corporation)

Sshhh! Don't ruin this! Last night I had to insist the puppy sleep in the kennel rather than on the bed, and it was A Thing. She was loud and angry and emotionally devastated. She did eventually sleep until 4:15 this morning before she was ready to pee the first time, and I brought her back up on the bed after that. 

But now, unprompted, she went in there by herself and fell soundly asleep. I tossed a couple of toys in for her for later, and gently closed the door. She let me do it without even picking up her head. I quickly changed into jammies and crawled in bed. I'm working on powering everything down, making it dark and quiet sooner than usual. I want nothing to disturb the calm.

I don't want the kennel to feel like punishment. It's a safe and comfortable place for her to sleep, away from cats, away from a mommy who kicks covers and rolls over a lot. It lets me sleep more soundly, not worrying about whether she is about to forget herself and pee on the bed. I'm unlikely to sleep through her telling me clearly when it's time to go out. 

I'd like to think this is a trend or a turning point, but I'm not ready to get my hopes up. Tomorrow promises to be difficult, taking her to the vet first thing. It will probably set back the progress we made on car rides being to fun places. But this is necessary. Fingers crossed that she likes her doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment