Monday, March 22, 2021

Boulder

Inspirational song: My Hometown (Charlie Robison)

A disappointing showing in the second round of the NCAA tournament ought to have been my story about Boulder tonight. I wish it were so. I mean, I am not happy about the loss, but it pales in comparison to the developing story of a shooter at the Table Mesa King Soopers. These things keep getting closer and closer to home, and I may need some time to process this. 

When I lived in North Charleston, there was a death from a traffic stop where a cop tried to plant a gun, and a mass shooting at a church, that second one just a few days before I moved away. The list of mass shootings in the greater Denver metro area is extensive, dating back to Columbine, which happened the week we went back to Colorado from Fayetteville, to a friend's wedding. It has become impossible now to "otherize" these incidents when they keep creeping closer to one's backyard. 

I'm writing early tonight, because I have an 8 am doctor visit. As of now, the police are just now announcing the number of fatalities, and it's as bad as we feared. The early sketchy details warned us the news was going to be bad, just by how little they were willing to say.

This is affecting my family members pretty hard too. I don't think the Mr and I still have friends living in that specific part of Boulder, but other people in my family do. It is very close to our last residence before we started our air force journey, two stoplights north of there. I used to go to that King Soopers a lot, but I haven't been there in about two years. The photo I will use tonight is from when I lived nearby last. It was taken about one mile from the scene.

My heart is breaking for you, Boulder.


No comments:

Post a Comment