Friday, March 26, 2021

You and Your Hobbies

Inspirational song: Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash)

The girls and I need to get a new hobby. At least that's what I was told when we rolled another loaded shopping cart out of Target today. There's a reason we call the children's clothing section of Target, Walmart, Marshall's, etc, the "Danger Zone." It's just so much fun dressing up that live action baby doll. And it's not like Target et al don't know who their demographic is. I rolled up behind my daughter, and said no, we don't need any more clothes. And then we both caught sight of the sweatshirt that said "Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon Tour 1973," and we stayed long enough to start piling 18 month size stuff into the cart for that lengthening toddler. And when I saw the Johnny Cash hoodie had a pocket, well... How could I say no? Was a good thing I got it, too, when baby needed an outfit change before we got out of the store, and not just because it was colder when we left than when we came in.

After a few experiments, Val has learned that she can make better noise on my piano when she bangs on it more enthusiastically. Now, when she has learned to climb, she gets even better leverage on it. So we pulled out the bench and set her on it, and let her play us a tune. This kid is primed to be a musician. She just needs instruction, practice time, and the freedom to improv. One of the first stops in Target was the area where wooden baby toys are. There was a small toy piano, and we put it in front of her and showed her that it worked. Her face lit up, and I said, welp, grandma is definitely getting that, and I put it in the cart. She watched me closely, and wondered why she didn't get to keep it right away. Later I got a photo showing how happy she was to learn that it came home to her house with her. Points for grandma.

We got a lot done waiting for the hot tub repair man to show up today. I practiced deep cleaning with my new steam cleaner that I bought with an Amazon gift card I got from my boss, and the Mr made progress on building a work bench with drawers in the garage. If we aren't careful, we are going to be fully moved into this house, and have a functional place to park, after six years here.

No comments:

Post a Comment