Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Strand Test

Inspirational song: Road to Nowhere (Talking Heads)

A word of caution to anyone who may be so inclined, don't dye your hair blue, even with "semipermanent" dye, unless you want to live with it a very, very long time. I have been shampooing more often than usual (every other day rather than every third), with the harshest soaps I can tolerate, like a tea tree castile soap, and the best I have done is make my hair look like it is gunmetal gray with blue highlights. So I tested out a few streaks of color stripper, to test that, and I got one weird light blonde splotch, and a few lighter blue-gray streaks, based on how thick I made the chemical. Today I wanted to just give up waiting and do an all-over "warm beige blonde" permanent color. I was talked into doing a small strand test, and best I can tell, it just warmed up the salt and pepper roots. There is still plenty of blue in that lock. Seems I recall that years ago when I had mermaid hair, the teal and aqua sections refused to fade and also rejected attempts to cover up with more purple and magenta when I got tired of the blue-green colors. Maybe the folks at Sally's can hook me up with a gentle stripper, so to speak. I'm ready to go back to regular honey colored hair.

I jealously guarded my time and units of energy today, as I have needed to do for days now. It allowed me to do a more thorough job of kitchen cleaning, and to give my sore muscles a full rest. I even sat in the hot tub for a while, and darned if it didn't work things loose for once. This is the best I've felt in a while (save for the hip that won't improve until I pursue physical therapy). I feel like celebrating, but it is bedtime, so perhaps just shutting off lights at a decent hour is the next best thing.

I had no photos for the day, and thought hey, I should get one of me and Saoirse, where you could see the blue cast to my hair. I tried to wrestle her into a position where we were both in view of the lens. That went about as well as can be expected, trying to get a seven and a half month old Clydesdale to look in one direction and hold a pose. She also clocked me pretty hard with the top of her head. I gave up and am going with what I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment