Sunday, March 28, 2021

Glow Little Glow Worm

Inspirational song: Nocturne Op. 9, No. 2 (Frédéric Chopin)

We just got back from the kids' house. We went over to witness firsthand the current bedtime routine and its relative degree of difficulty, so that we know what to do in a couple nights when we are babysitting. It is so much harder to get her to go down at bedtime than it is for a quick afternoon nap. 

It probably didn't help that she isn't used to seeing grandma and grandpa at bedtime. She felt the need to perform, and she got pretty spun up. Grandpa read the Very Hungry Caterpillar, and she got hugs from all of us, then she ping-ponged around her bed. It was obvious that she was sleepy, but sleep just wouldn't come. We lowered the lights (she has a red light to help with powering down) and she listened to tunes on her glow worm doll. And still she did not sleep.

Eventually we had to sneak out and go home, and let her mom and dad finish the bedtime process. I was left wondering whether she still has reflux, like she did as a tiny infant, or if she experiences body pain like grandma, but can't tell us where or how bad. She might be a born insomniac like her auntie. Or it could have just been too exciting having an expanded audience when she wasn't expecting it. I am not dreading being on my own to put her down on Tuesday. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. I may not be as boastful when I'm faced with a squirmy Grump, but for now, I'm confident that I know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment