Saturday, March 20, 2021

Upsets

Inspirational song: Mad (Marillion)

With absolute certainty, I can say I will not be winning any bracket challenges. Wow. What a first round that was. I waited for the shocking finish of the Texas-Abilene Christian game to start writing, and I'm still reeling at how exciting it was, for a game I had no skin in. For all those people swearing my Buffaloes would be on the wrong side of a 12-5 upset, I say "Bite me." Or less polite words to that effect. They won 96-73, and are moving on to face Florida State in the next round on Sunday. As of writing, the time has not been posted on the bracket I checked. Fingers crossed that it isn't during the same time as Saoirse's class around lunchtime.

Now that all five or six of my brackets are thoroughly in the trash, I'm ready to switch from hoping I win a prize against more than a million folks who paid closer attention all season than I did, to cheering for utter chaos. Upsets and surprise finishes are exciting. The chaos is the best part of this tournament. I am torn between wanting all the kids to be safe and fine, and wanting to see another team suddenly eliminated with a positive test like the reigning champs Virginia were today. Bring on the madness!

Has it really been only ten years since I started enjoying this game? I missed out on a lot of fun. Making up for it now, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment