Friday, March 12, 2021

Watching and Waiting for Flakes

Inspirational song: Reach Out (Cheap Trick)

Snowpocalypse 2021 has not yet arrived. So far it is about eight hours late. If it isn't snowing to beat the band by the time I get out of bed in the morning, I'm going to have to speak to the manager. A lot of meteorologists are starting to significantly scale back snow totals predictions, but there is still little agreement, even now, four hours before it is (now) scheduled to start. Where is my giant storm? I demand you bring it to me now, weather gods.

The delay on snow made it easier to get to and from next door, where we went to eat stir fry, play Mario Kart, and watch the PAC-12 men's basketball semifinal game. For the record, CU won a nail-biter, 72-70 over USC, and the last score deserves a top 5 mention on Sports Center. If it had been accumulating the snow depths we were told to expect tonight, it would have been much less fun to schlep dinner fixings (including the stainless steel pan, so I could be extra safe from gluten cross-contamination) over there.

I have been taking Saoirse out more often, and tonight was no exception. I dragged the Mr with me, so he could stay with her in the car while I ran into the grocery store. Then we all went into PetSmart, to walk around and practice doing basic commands in a highly interesting environment. She was super unfocused, and refused to sit, line up, or lie down when told. We were at the far back corner of the store, by the cat towers, and she was yawning and not doing what I asked. I asked her what she was going to do if we ran into her teacher, while she was misbehaving. It didn't help much. We were heading to the front of the store when the Mr stopped to look at a couple calico guinea pigs, and I was looking at them over his shoulder. From behind me, I heard, "Oh, hi, Saoirse!" I turned around and greeted our teacher, and then looked at the puppy, and said, "See?"

The grocery store was as crowded as you can imagine, and as picked clean of the good dairy products (I wanted heavy cream and found none) and produce as you can imagine. I mean, do people really need all of the bananas during one three-day snowstorm? As I walked past the refrigerated aisles, I saw the most Colorado thing (to steal Kyle Clark's phrase). Extra cases of beer were stacked up on the floor in front of the coolers. Now, to be fair, I never go in that aisle, for obvious reasons. But I sure don't remember it having that much beer laid out. I guess I know what all of the Front Range will be drinking this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment