Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Bean Field War

Inspirational song: Magic Carpet Ride (Steppenwolf)

Who could have imagined that a card game based on growing beans would be one of our adult game group's favorite pastimes? While one of our D&D campaigns is on hold (Mr S-P is taking a hiatus from leading it during mountain build season), we have turned every other Wednesday into board game night. The first thing we played was the bean game, and it was cutthroat and glorious. The wheeling and dealing is way better than that nonsense in Monopoly. We are all fairly evenly matched, as evidenced by three of us scoring 9 points, and the winner edging us out with 10. I don't think anyone had fewer than 7.

As the evening progressed, and the drinks started affecting those who imbibed, we switched to Neanderthal Poetry. It is so difficult, even when sober, to play word games where the person giving clues gets bonked in the head with a "club" if they use more than one syllable in their hints to teammates. A, the lady of the house next door, is the hands-down best at this one, and Mr S-P may count as the worst. I'm somewhere in the middle between them.

It was the kind of day where I didn't shower until right before I headed next door, not because I was moping around, but because I was busy working in my overly-warm house and needed the cool-down. (I have already nearly filled the donation bin yet again, and I feel fantastic about it. One more big box of clothes emptied from where it had been stored under the old bed. The new bed arrives tomorrow, I think.) After a long day of cleaning and sorting, I took a cool shower before game night, and I headed over in pajamas, carrying a giant mug of monkfruit-sweetened hot cocoa for my dinner. Yes, a bit unorthodox in the middle of July, but I was tired and needed relaxing comfort food. Well, drink. Now after a long evening of play, I can happily just crawl straight into bed, and rest up for a long day of playing grandma tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment