Sunday, July 18, 2021

Puppy Birthday

Inspirational song: Welcome to the Boomtown (David & David)

My morning started as usual, with me being trampled by several hungry cats and one overly exuberant polar bear. I ignored them as long as I could, but eventually I had to get up and feed the horde. Just after I distributed breakfast nummies, I got a direct message on Twitter. It was one of my friends down at the ranch, making sure I was aware that today was the puppies' birthday. No, I said. I wasn't. I thought I had been told the 21st. Nope. My friend wrote it down when it happened, July 18. I hadn't prepared a celebration yet, thinking I had three more days to plan. I might wait until Wednesday to throw her a party anyway, so that her daddy can be home, and the kids come over for game night as usual. They say it can take three years for a Great Pyrenees to fully mature, so I am not prepared to call her an adult yet. A big galloot, yes. Adult, not so much.

I'm trying hard to get through some of the necessary tasks I've been staring at for weeks or months, never finding the will to begin. I pulled out the carpet cleaner (only to realize with horror that it had been put away dirty, with water that was moldy and stinky in the collection tank), and I did one good pass on the living room carpet. All the furniture is still pushed off the edges of it, but Special Helper Saoirse made sure that her toys were retrieved from the bin and spread back out across it. It's mostly dry now, but I've run out of inspiration to lift furniture to reassemble the space. Maybe tomorrow. I have begun the arduous task of clearing the year of accumulated debris off the piano, so I can properly dust it, finally. And not for nothing, while the Mr is still out of town, I am going to make sure a lot of "oh, I will [shred/recycle/repair] that later" stuff that has never been addressed disappears permanently. That has been a big source of tension, and I need much of it to go away before the next surgery.

Apparently Clovis, New Mexico is not exactly a hopping town on a Sunday night. Most of the places we used to go have closed down. The Mr was so bored he even went to the mall. He chatted with a store clerk, and was told that Covid was rough on a lot of the businesses there. And it didn't help the local economy any that the air force base has completed enough base housing that fewer people need to live in town and spend their money there. While Mr S-P was driving and sending me dreary pictures of a town in decline, I asked him to drive past the mom and pop gift shop and plant nursery where I worked while I was finishing my masters degree. It doesn't look like it is still in business anymore, and there was a name on a mailbox out front I didn't recognize. But there was still at least one stray cat visible on the property, so I guess it still retains its spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment