Sunday, July 4, 2021

Non-Stop Explosions

Inspirational song: Owner of a Lonely Heart (Yes)

Does everyone's neighborhood sound like this one does? We don't remember ever hearing this many big fireworks going off, in a constant rumble. It started this afternoon, long before sunset. By the time it was even vaguely dark, it began in earnest. It has never stopped. How much money did our neighbors spend? Do people around here still have to drive up to just over the Wyoming border to get these aerials? 

I wasn't going to go out and watch any of it. I was content just to listen. But a friend from out of town dropped by, and encouraged me to step out to the sidewalk. We chatted there a few minutes, until Mr S-P arrived back from the traditional party that most of our old friends from the pre-military days attend. The Mr had invited this old high school friend to join us at the drunk American history party next door.

I was skipping all parties this time around. I wanted to feel social, but I just don't. I'm tired, and thinking of putting on a happy face around tons of people, many of whom I don't know, just makes me feel even more exhausted. There are plenty of people I would love to see, in onesie-twosies, but it would be way cooler if they came here, rather than me traveling an hour each way (or longer because it's a holiday). 

So I popped in next door to say hello. I was there long enough to drink a seltzer water (non-alcoholic, not the hard stuff), and I heard one drunk history presentation, which happened to be T telling the story of Johnny Walker (not the alcohol but the guy who sold secrets to the Russians). They were about halfway through the presentations when I left, and because of his late arrival, the Mr was number 10 on the list. There was no way I could hold up that long. I came home, and retired to bed, to listen to the endless booms and smell the gunpowder all night. I don't even mind the noise. People needed a reason to celebrate and feel good about life this summer. I hope all the hot dogs and beers and fireworks were grand, and the gatherings of friends even better. Maybe next year I will feel like being at one of those parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment