Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Ready to Receive

Inspirational song: The Waiting (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)

After eight days lost in limbo, FedEx finally updated the tracking information on the bed frame I ordered in June. According to Home Depot, they sent it out on June 28. All this time it said, "Pending--tracking will be updated once FedEx receives the package," or words to that effect. It updated once mid-morning, and then this afternoon it added a note that the bar code was unable to be scanned and had to be reprinted. I wonder whether that was the big delay. It now says that it should be here by end of day Thursday. Fingers crossed.

I saw on Twitter just today, a thread by people who are experiencing much longer delays for getting furniture they ordered during the Covid times. I recall the bed I bought last year took a little longer than I expected, but it sounds like I had it pretty good. People who have ordered pieces that have to be made up once the customer decides on wood finishes or upholstery have had delays of months, sometimes over a year. I don't know whether to be scandalized, sympathetic, or to think back to how good we had it up until last year, compared to most of consumer history. Eventually things will be zooming again, but the backlog is going to take some time to sort out.

Knowing that I have a target date for the new bed, I went to shop for a new comforter for it. The one I had before was some little quilt I had gotten on clearance at Target, and it never really fit the bed. It was ruffled around the edges, and shaped in such a way that it seemed to be for a short toddler mattress or something. I intended to buy a quilt, as that is my preference (I can't stand heavy blankets pressing down on my toes), but none of them really spoke to me at Bed, Bath and Beyond, where I went after Rotary today. I looked at down and down alternative comforters, and found an alternative with fill made from recycled plastic bottles, and it was on clearance for a fantastic price. I went looking for duvet covers, and found one that will do well enough for now. This way, I can change things up as I see fit, especially once the baby starts using that room once in a while, and can express her design preferences. By the time she is ready for sleepovers, she ought to be able to name her favorite color for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment