Thursday, July 8, 2021

Peachy

Inspirational song: Don't Bring Me Down (Electric Light Orchestra)

Quelle dommage. FedEx did it to me again. At 3:30 this morning, my new bed was scanned as in transit in far western Utah. I checked back every half hour or so starting at noon, for some sign it had arrived in northern Colorado. At 4:30 this afternoon, the tracking timeline went red again, with that same "barcode unreadable, reprinted" message. At least it has made it as close as Broomfield now. But that is where its adventure stalled again. It went from promising delivery by end of day today to pending with no shred of hope when I will see it. What are the odds that when it finally arrives, there will be some part of the box so damaged near the shipping label that the bed is unusable? I sure hope not, after all of this delay.

I ran up to the store this morning to buy a new cover for the mattress and pillow, and I got a set of sheets while I was there. It wasn't an exact match for the duvet cover, but it has the same vibe, so I splurged (all of like 20 bucks--this was Walmart after all.) I sat in my living room most of the day, staring at the new bedding, still entirely in its packaging, desperate for a sign of the chance to put it to use. We had a friend come down from Cheyenne for the evening, and we thought they would stay overnight, so I started to make up the bed with just the mattress on the floor, but they forgot an important daily med, so they went home after dinner and learning how to play the bean game with us. The mattress is still leaning against the wall, the bedding is still wrapped up, but at least I went ahead and steam-mopped the floor, so it's ready to go.

Valerie was here all day. She is quickly absorbing all kinds of new vocabulary, even if she isn't repeating much of it back to us. She knows what to do when I ask her to play piano, or have dancy-feet, or to punch the green button on the game I always play on my iPad (that collects my hourly points bonus). She can point at her swimming pool in her back yard, and say "pooooooo," but when she is holding a ball, she says the same word. We're working on that one. But the really fun one today is when I remembered I had an open jar of peaches in the fridge, and I asked, "Valerie, do you want peaches?" She didn't make eye contact with me, because she was busy looking at my utensil drawer, but she did immediately answer, "Pt! Chs!" If that isn't a victory, nothing is.

No comments:

Post a Comment