Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Why, Alan, Why?

Inspirational song: Kayleigh (Marillion)

I knew I would be up late tonight, but I didn't expect to have such a narrow-minded focus on my creative project that I would almost forget to blog before bed. I was really in the flow of my art, which for now remains a mystery to you, that I didn't realize it was already past midnight. I want to show what I'm up to, but waiting one more day is imperative. You'll see soon.

I felt noticeably better today compared to my absolute lethargy yesterday. I was alert enough to go to Rotary, and even pay attention to the program (which was quite interesting, honestly). As soon as I was home and settled in, I turned back to my project, and had just gotten in a solid groove when Saoirse alerted and started barking at a pedestrian. I was about to chastise her for barking at a mom walking her baby in a stroller, when I realized I knew who the mom and baby were. I still chastised Saoirse, but more specifically for barking at her baby.

It was the greatest feeling to see that little girl walk through my door and immediately pick up speed to "run" straight into my arms. This is what makes grandparenting awesome. She is now doing so many of the things I was waiting for, like sneaking off to get into everything, and then running back babbling little baby jokes that don't have a discernable meaning. It takes a lot more quick action to keep her from danger in my not-perfectly-childproofed home, but it is still fun. They were only here about an hour, needing to be out of the house while daddy had an online meeting that was best accomplished without distraction. I was thrilled to be the halfway point of their walk. 

When I was driving back from dropping off my friend who rode with me to Rotary, I flipped through my satellite radio presets. Pausing on the 80s channel, I nearly screamed to hear the opening chords of the first song I ever knew by my favorite band, the group I have traveled all around the country to see multiple times over the last 35+ years. They just don't get radio airplay, despite still putting out fantastic quality music over all this time. I sat in the driveway just a little longer to hear the song to the very end. And then it happened. The DJ (former VJ Alan Hunter) called them a one-hit wonder. Dammit, Alan. Damn you...

No comments:

Post a Comment