Monday, September 13, 2021

Check and Check

Inspirational song: A Little Good News (Anne Murray)

Back in April or so, when last I went in to see my primary care doctor, we had zero idea how this summer was going to go. She had me make an appointment to follow up on the things we were investigating to see why I was so extra tired and icky feeling. Turns out none of them were the right direction, and just a plain old annual mammogram slingshotted me in a whole new trajectory. I went in for that follow up with the PCM this morning, and we all kind of laughed wryly at the surprising turn it all took. We had to refer to her notes even to remember what we were talking about in the middle of spring. Overall, it was a calm, positive visit. No crises, no arguments, no bad news. I like it this way.

This afternoon was the post-op conversation with the regular oncologist. She is very happy with my pathology report, and she took a peek at the surgery site. All very good. She told me I can take another week or two off, but to go ahead and go back on tamoxifen. I think I will wait until the weather fully enters the autumn cool-off before I give myself those uncontrollable hot flashes again. But I'm okay with staying on the cheap, time-tested drug.

I was three-quarters asleep in my chair when I heard a scratch on the front porch. It was nearly full dark, so it was unusually late for the postman. Plus, the postman rarely waves at me through the window. I had a split-second of panic, and then recognized my daughter looking at me from the darkened porch. They had combined a grocery trip and a walk for the baby, and they came in with a messy, gluten-coated child. They immediately ran a bath, which thrilled Valerie. She changed into Halloween jammies, and proceeded to dance around my house at such a pace that snapping a good picture of her was as difficult as getting a clear shot of Bigfoot. Some poses were adorable, but blurry. Some were crisp and clear, and child was facing away. At one point her daddy held her in front of him like one carries a cat who has been where he or she should not have been. Even those pictures were blurry! I tell you, though, even the blurry ones show what a knockout face that kid has. My heart melts every time I see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment