Sunday, September 19, 2021

Spicy

Inspirational song: The Angels Want to Wear My Red Shoes (Elvis Costello)

The countdown has begun. We are inside of 72 hours before the official calendar start of autumn. I wasn't about to wait for the equinox to get a head start on soup season. Specifically, it is green chile time! I had to go out and buy tomatillos, after discovering that mine in the garden were smaller than marbles this year. But I roasted peppers at home, and I used smoked pork loin for extra flavor. The house still smells amazing. I might have gotten it a little hot for most of us (me, Mr S-P, and A next door), but at least one person (T) thought it was just right. Maybe three jalapeƱos for four people was a little much.

Other than the trip out for tomatillos and tortillas, I stayed close to home. The kids came by in the evening, and our toddler has discovered tantrums. We tried to offer her a taste of the cream cheese frosting that went on a raisin spice cake, but we took away her bubble wand to do it. That did not go over well. Mom and dad tried to calmly tell her it wasn't working for her, while I kept my face averted in the kitchen so she couldn't see me giggling. I wasn't laughing at her emotional overload. I was remembering how many of those I dealt with when the girls were little, and after a few decades, I can finally look back and smile. They were exhausting. But they are part of toddlerhood. She will eventually work her way to handling sudden change and disappointment. Just not yet.

While we were having dinner next door, and struggling through another disappointing football game (not a good sports weekend for me), my puppy was having a tantrum of her own. I left her inside so she wouldn't bark the neighborhood down, but that made her madder apparently. She found one of my slip-on sneakers and ate the insole out of it. I suppose it's fair that she should finally get one of mine, as the first six or seven she ate were all the Mr's. I'm just lucky that she chose a cheap Walmart sneaker. Problem was, I really liked them, and wore them all the time. Guess I need to replace them.

No comments:

Post a Comment