Sunday, May 8, 2022

Flipped

Inspirational song: The Morning After (Maureen McGovern)

As mothers days go, this one was a little unusual and a lot of fun. First, I went into it not with the idea of making it all about me, but instead of reaching out and doing for other people, and it made me feel much less self-conscious and much happier. I made brunch today with the intent of giving a good meal to my daughter, who has turned out to be one of the best, most naturally-talented moms I have ever encountered. I keep saying I don't know where she comes by it. I figure I was an okay mom. She is a miracle to behold. Val and baby TBR (to be revealed in summer) are the luckiest of kids. So this year, I didn't want her to bring me flowers or presents. I wanted to celebrate her. We had berry crepes and scrambled eggs, and good conversation. Because she fixed the plate instead of grandma, Val actually ate heartily of my cooking (doesn't happen much lately). We wanted to play outside some, but doggies were extra barky, thus they were extra scary today. 

Mr S-P and I worked in the yard through much of the early afternoon. I focused on digging up thistles and bindweed in the part of the front yard that's next on the chopping block for turf removal. He did some of that, and a whole lot more. Our tomatoes are in the ground (Colorado gardening rules say plant on mothers day), and he also set the eggplant and marigolds out there. He can't help himself, so he got more grapes, so the garden will probably be blocked from view if these things take off like the other fruit we grow here. And thank goodness, he has finally started digging out where he promised me a flagstone patio three years ago. Pray nothing stops him now.

We found racks of beef ribs for a ridiculously good price at Costco, and bought some with the intention of feeding our neighbors. T injured himself playing basketball, and he's finding out those injuries are a whole lot harder in your mid 30s than they are in early 20s. Looks like a torn ACL. So we brought dinner and wine and we spent the evening watching a remake of a disaster movie, heckling it the whole time. It was Poseidon, the 2006 update of the Poseidon Adventure from 1972. I have not had so much fun watching a movie this bad in ages. I'm so glad we did this. We've gone through bad movies together before, but for some reason, this one was much more entertaining. What a great cap to a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment