Saturday, May 14, 2022

Get Back Up

Inspirational song: Vacation (The Go-Gos)

I went way too long not doing much of anything. Years, really. I had to stop and rest and catch my breath so often that I forgot how to do anything else. Now I'm feeling stronger and more energetic, and I'm forgetting that I still need a lot of those breaks. I keep pushing even when I'm sore and tired, and I find myself at the end of the day wondering who steamrolled me. 

Like now, for example. I worked outside all week, digging and hauling stuff around. I babysat tons. And I walked and walked and walked. Now I'm thinking fondly of those never-get-out-of-jammies-barely-get-out-of-bed days. I need to find a balance between muscle-wasting stillness and pain-inducing go-go-go. By the time it was shady enough to plant my hydrangea, my legs decided not to work. There I was, on my knees, right next to the sidewalk, trying and failing repeatedly to stand up. For once I was glad for the Mr's big old trucks parked on the street, hiding my graceless struggle.

I went in search of plant food and a spray wand for my container pots. I decided to give Home Depot a try, and I was surprisingly disappointed in my choices. I found an okay wand for the hose, and a mega box of Miracle-Gro, but the selection of flowers just didn't speak to me. I intended to make hanging baskets (hence a spray wand instead of a pistol-type sprayer), and I struggled to find a blend for a single combo. I will go somewhere else for the other two I planned to make. 

This evening, the Mr sighed and said we have to start digging up the sod up front and start hardscaping. He has been doing so much in the back, he's dreading adding more to the to-do list. The time to do it all is now, though. No rest for the weary.

No comments:

Post a Comment