Sunday, May 22, 2022

Mis En Place

Inspirational song: Dead Flowers (The Rolling Stones)

The tender plants of Smith Park appear to have beaten the odds. It wasn't a hard enough freeze over the last two mornings to kill off anything we have found yet, and the heavy spring snow only broke one branch off of Zoe's lilac tree in the animal memorial garden out back. Everything else has survived. A few things were a little limp because they hadn't been watered efficiently before being stored inside or under blankets. They perked up once they had good water and sunshine. 

By mid-morning I was out preparing to finalize the porch setup. I hauled all the pots that were inside back out, moved everything that had been huddled by the brick into the sun, and emptied everything off the porch completely. I took a broom to cobwebs along the windows and brick. I sprayed the exterior window cleaner with the hose. I swept the porch, and then used the jet setting on my hose wand to get the last of the dirt out from the corners. And when it was all dry, I put it back together correctly. I lined the edges with all the herbs and flower pots. I rehung the hanging baskets. I set the bistro table in the shady corner where I intend to take my coffee as often as possible. And I laid a modestly-priced outdoor rug under it to tie it all together. It looks amazing, if I say so myself. I wanted to just stare at it, but I had other things to accomplish.

The Mr and I both tackled weeds in the turf this afternoon. We are making good progress on digging up everything in the way of laying the hardscaping to come soon. It will still take far longer than either of us wants to contemplate. But I'm starting to see where it's going, and I like it. I just wish it didn't involve being stuck down on the ground digging it all out by hand. My wrists hurt so badly now. There isn't enough diclofenac in the world for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment