Friday, May 6, 2022

Secret Squirrel

Inspirational song: The Pink Panther (Henry Mancini)

Yeah, this spring is way better than the last several. I had energy to go out and weed for an hour yet again this morning. I didn't cover nearly as much linear space as before, but I did get a lot ripped out right by the corner of the porch. I was careful not to pull anything that might be the California poppies that I planted last year in that spot. I had to look up images for what the seedlings should look like. I hope at least some of them return. I might put more there, in hopes to reclaim that space from the invasive weeds.

I was still on the ground when Valerie arrived to hang with us for a few hours. She thought it was funny to see me there. She ran up and plopped down on the grass near me, sitting legs straight out just like I was. That kid brings joy wherever she goes. It was so funny seeing her copy me.

While we were waiting for grandpa ("Pa-pa-pa!") to be ready to go with us to Costco, I was watching out the front window. The Pink Panther theme was playing on Spotify, and in time to the music, one of those spoiled little squirrels who eat like kings in our yard came bounding across the lawn. He was so sneaky, ducking down behind the yarrow patch, peeking above it, then repeating the process several times. I think he was studying my herb garden on the porch, trying to decide whether it was ready to snack on. By the time I got my camera out, he had casually strolled to the base of the peach tree, and pretended he never cased out my porch. I will be checking for nibbles tomorrow, and I'll have words with him if herbs are missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment