Tuesday, May 3, 2022

We'll Be Fine

Inspirational song: Wonderful World (Sam Cooke)

Now that I have it all taken care of, I suppose I can fess up to what happened over the last few months. Remember in December when I was stressing over finishing my continuing education credits before the end of the year, before renewing my license? I was a hundred percent sure, in my heart, that I had everything done and I was good to go. Then in January or February, I was chosen for a "random audit" of credits. I thought no problem, I'll just find my certificates and turn them in, done and done. Well, not so easy. Between two rounds of cancer and a pandemic, record-keeping was not my priority. I couldn't find the proof of annual updates class for the first year of the pandemic, which we did right before lockdown. And the CE that I thought I did right before the first cancer surgery? Turns out I had my dates wrong. It was the year before--in the last license period. Oh, crap. So I gave the state the documents I had and waited for the worst. Thankfully it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. They sent me super scary legal documents, but they declined to fine me. They just said take this much CE, and it won't count towards the CE you have to take regularly for this cycle. I wasn't about to protest! I got right on it and did my classes. Finished this morning, with a class on HOA docs that honestly left me a little more confused than I hoped it would. It took all day, and me submitting my certificates of completion for my stressed-out stomach to unwind. Now I'm just waiting for them to acknowledge receipt and tell me I'm straight with the regulatory agency again.

I was invited into a new role at Rotary a few months ago. Rotary clubs all over the place put on leadership summer camps, one for kids in their early teens and one for older kids most of the way through high school. My own daughter went to one in California, and she came away from it with an overall positive experience. The pandemic made it impossible to hold these camps for a couple of years, and now that they are back on, much of the human infrastructure has crumbled. Some people who held the institutional knowledge have gone on to other pursuits, and they're finding challenges getting all their counselors and filling all the available camp slots. Kids must be vaccinated before even applying, so that might have slowed it down some. I was brought in to help evaluate applicants. Group interviews were this evening. It was all new to me, so I can only hope that my questions were relevant and appropriate. I came away from it impressed as heck by the young people in this town. The kids we met were smart, ambitious, and driven, but also warm and compassionate. My friend said every time she does these interviews, she goes home and tells her husband, "the world is in good hands." Let me echo her words, because she is absolutely correct. These kids can handle it. Things will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment