Thursday, May 19, 2022

Remove It

Inspirational song: Papa Dukie & the Mud People (The Subdudes)

I murdered a sizeable swath of turf in my front yard. Premeditated and everything. I bought the extra strong vinegar from Murdoch's and mixed it with a little dish soap and salt, like the internet says to do. I sprayed it on all the weeds between the driveway and the paisley bed (first one in line), plus a little along the sidewalk. I was hoping that by doing this, they would pull up easier. Not so much. I sat on the ground for hours today, digging and tossing dead weeds and some grass (there the internet let me down--it said the grass would survive). I didn't get nearly as much pulled up as I had hoped. I think next I will try doing the digging with a shovel, and then picking out the roots by hand.

For most of the day there were patchy clouds. Didn't stop me from getting a sunburn, not one bit. I wore a sunscreen shirt, but my jeans were kind of rough-cut highwaters. My ankles were exposed, and now they are toasty red. Oops. The weather will be totally different all weekend, but somewhat less conducive to sitting on the ground digging weeds.

We called knock it off mid-afternoon and went to run errands. After picking up meds at the pharmacy and a quick run through Sonic (happy hour cherry limeades, yo) we ran by some salvage yards. The Restore Warehouse had some paver bricks I was eyeing seriously, but they wanted 50 cents apiece for them. That didn't seem like a great deal. What are they going for at Lowe's right about now? Should I go back for them, for the walkway up front? We looked at the big Boulder salvage center, and they had no brick or stone at all. We did get stuff to finally hook up our rain collection barrels. If this year is as bad as it looks, we are going to need every drop of water we can catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment