Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Seven Year Itch

Inspirational song: Dreams Weaver (Gary Wright)

I want to go to bed early. Hopefully I will be able to sleep. I didn't at all last night, not until the sky started to get lighter, which I could see through the curtains. I couldn't shut my brain down last night. I stayed up way too late watching gardening videos on YouTube, and one lady in particular grabbed my attention. She gave an extended tour of her fancy acreage property, showing off plantings she had done, naming each cultivar without a cheat sheet. It was more than an hour of garden envy, and it was already past midnight when the algorithm offered me this video. Of course I watched it all. Soon after, I turned off the TV, but I couldn't turn off the envy. My brain was wide awake, and nothing could slow it down.

There has been an inkling of a thought, but I had suppressed it until last night. For hours, I lay in the dark, trying to pin my eyes closed, wondering what sort of property would convince me to sell here and move. I know my home is worth twice what I paid for it just seven years ago. I know my husband and kids have mused how nice it would be to move away from heavy concentrations of people, to land out in the country somewhere. So if we did that, where would we go? What state? How much land would be enough to get me to move? What climate? How far out in the sticks?

I came up with a few minimum needs. It would need to be at least five acres to make it worth it. It would need to be somewhere between zone 4 and, say, 8. It would need water, lots of water. More than we have available in Colorado. It would need to be compelling enough to draw the kids and grandkids along too. I'd have to have a chance of representative government that meets enough of my values like my side of Colorado does. That's all a lot to ask, so it's probably just a single night's sleepless fantasy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment