Monday, May 2, 2022

Golden Slumbers

Inspirational song: Rainy Days and Mondays (The Carpenters)

The problem with sleeping with the windows open in early May in Northern Colorado isn't necessarily shivering at night. It's not being willing to lift up the covers in the morning and subject yourself to the shock of how cold the room is outside of the bed. It took me forever to work up the courage to put my feet on the floor. But like a fool I'm facing bedtime now, sorely tempted to turn the heat back off and do it all over again. It was so pleasant listening to rain all last night. It had been far too long since I heard it. Tonight there isn't rain, but it is still wonderfully chilly.

Even though I'd seen her several times in the last week, I swear that baby has gotten suddenly older and more mature looking. There is just an understanding in her eyes that wasn't there very recently. And her face has grown again, sculpting more distinct features, and less generic baby appearance. I am finding it easier to picture what she will look like in middle school or even high school, hanging out with her friends or participating in whatever her chosen extracurriculars will be. Her second birthday is just a couple weeks away. Those school days are still far off. But I promise you, she is gonna be something else when she gets there. 

We gave her parents some uninterrupted cleaning time today. I brought her here, intending to give her a snack and then put her down for a nap. She resisted sleep for a solid two hours before her body and brain finally conspired against her. By the time I got her lying down in a dimly lit room, she was so ready for sleep that she was out in under two minutes. She needed the rest, but there was too much to do at her grandparents' house. Maybe we should practice being less fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment