Monday, October 10, 2022

Bloodletting

Inspirational song: I Melt with You (Modern English)

The first time I remember noticing this reaction was when I was pregnant with my younger daughter. They took a few vials of blood for routine tests, and I spent the rest of the day feeling weak and loopy. I thought maybe it was just because of the pregnancy, but then it happened again. And again. And it became a pattern. I just knew not to schedule much on days when I had to have tests run. I swore never to donate blood. (Crappy veins helped convince me that was the correct choice.) Once in a while I was okay most of the day afterwards, but that was exceedingly rare.

It happened again today, right on schedule. I had my annual physical this morning. I fasted as instructed, and accidentally went a little longer than I meant to. I failed to eat dinner last night after the long day with family. My nurse practitioner and I covered pretty much everything we needed to. I've been instructed to get an updated bone density scan, a second covid booster, a hearing test for my tinnitus (Yay!), and another colonoscopy (Boo! How has it already been 5 years?). I got a flu shot, and then they took four nicely full vials of blood. 

I came home and had enough energy to down a banana and a nuked chicken sausage. Then I was down for the count. I was sprawled in my recliner, listening to TV on the iPad, but really I was asleep. Pretty sure I woke myself up multiple times by snoring. I don't get it. How do people drain out a whole pint of blood and just go about their day like nothing happened? Oh, here, let me drain away my life force, and then get a little sip of orange juice. Ah, how refreshing! 

I would complain about it more, but I think I want to go to bed early instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment