Sunday, October 16, 2022

Mellowed

Inspirational song: Dust on the Bottle (David Lee Murphy)

Four years ago, maybe, I got a whole bunch of golden plums from one of my good friends who has several trees that produce good crops about every other year. I wanted to try my hand at making plum wine. I bought all the home brewing (not brewing... fermenting?) equipment and set to it. I was rather sloppy in my record-keeping as I went through the process, and I didn't watch it as sharply as I ought. I also left it in the fermentation jars far longer than I should have. But during that time I was laid up with chemotherapy, Mr S-P and neighbor T took up the slack and bottled it for me while I had no energy to sit up and do it. It has been sitting in unmarked bottles in my wine fridge ever since. I was reluctant to try it for a long time, thinking my imprecise method might have ruined it. This afternoon during the Chiefs game, while we were next door enjoying pulled pork sandwiches and an amazing potato salad, I finally uncorked a bottle and tried it. It was super sweet, as plum wine is supposed to be, and surprisingly good. I had a couple of glasses, as did T, and it went right to my head. Good thing it was a short walk home.

All of my family and friends will be busy most of tomorrow, so we went out for a birthday brunch this morning. We went to Lucile's, one of my favorite restaurants, but for once I broke out of my rut. I didn't get the eggs Jennifer (eggs Benedict with tomato, spinach, and avocado), but rather pain perdu. I now must find out where they source the gluten-free sourdough bread they used, because holy cow. It was fantastic.

The kids came with us next door when we went to watch the football game. T needed practice cheering quietly and keeping his outbursts of disappointment mild, since he will be a daddy soon himself. He also had the full experience of Dmitri screaming and needing to be held in his preferred position, spitting up on him, and later loudly and forcefully sharting against his hand (no spillover, thank goodness). He's still excited to meet his baby girl next month, but he got a real sneak peek at what it will look and sound like. Yay, parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment