Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Shave and a Nail Cut

Inspirational song: Don't Fear the Reaper (Blue Öyster Cult)

This was not Athena's favorite day. She was tricked out of hiding by the rattle of the treat bottle, only to be scooped up after getting two small treats, and dumped inside a softside cat carrier. She took that well enough until the carrier was set on the front passenger seat of the car, and then the songs began. She began with a few verses of "Car Sucks," followed by a chorus of "Mommy, Why Do You Hate Me?" 

I left her in the carrier while we were in the exam room, waiting for the tech. I had an inkling that they would be taking her to the back, and I didn't want to have to catch her again. I explained how her mats were way worse this year, how she has been peeing on the floor next to the box, and how there is now blood in it. I reminded them that she has had super bad teeth in the past, and asked whether that might be a contributing factor in both of the other things. They took her to the back as expected, and I waited for about 45 minutes for an update. She has been partially shaved, and they said they had to do it in short bursts because she would suddenly be DONE with it (I said I am familiar with this), and they clipped her nails. They got all of the biggest mats, and most of the medium ones. I said we can leave the ones on her belly. Urinalysis didn't show an infection, and the doc said sometimes cats can have an idiopathic condition a lot like interstitial cystitis, that appears to be stress and/or pain induced. They think getting the mats off will help calm her, plus they gave me the stink eye for not getting her in for another round of tooth-pulling yet. She has a fang that has to go, that I swear I've asked about before.

I expected her to be mad at me at least part of the evening, but she went to cuddle-mommy mode a lot sooner than I would have guessed. I stayed home tonight, neither going to a party nor out with the smallest version of the game group. Being at the vet for an hour and a half made me more wrung out than Athena, and I didn't even get a shave or a manicure out of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment