Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Observation

Inspirational song: Weird Science (Oingo Boingo)

I was six when my grandmother let me use the sewing machine for the first time. I took to it like I was born to it. But I don't remember much about watching her or anyone else sew before that. I'm sure I watched and expressed interest, but I have no memory of it. 

I was working on Halloween costumes most of the day, with Valerie popping in and out to watch when she could. She touched things when I let her, like the new dressmakers shears I bought with the shiny gold handles, or the little fabric scraps she picked up and properly identified as green triangles. She wanted to watch the needle on the sewing machine go up and down from right next to it, but we kept making her sit at least a foot away. By the end of the day, she had a completed tunic and an almost-done cap for her Link costume from Wind Waker (one of the Zelda games, as I understand it, and that is literally all I know). She has a long-sleeved t-shirt to go under it, and legging and boots. I think I'm supposed to make her belt too, but maybe her mom is doing that part. I have only just started her brother's Star Trek uniform. That will be tomorrow's project.

I want to give you an update on the mystery person who had surgery. It was a long morning for them, having an early show time but not getting into theater until basically lunch time (not that they got to eat). All appears to have gone well, and pain is mostly under control, except for one spot that was just a little extra pinchy. Thank you all for good vibes, whether expressed or just quietly thought. I wanted this one to be easy and successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment