Friday, October 28, 2022

Great Pumpkin Patch

Inspirational song: Season of the Witch (Donovan)

How many seasonal traditions are out there that I just never picked up on? I found yet another. I apparently never did a corn maze, and it didn't occur to me until I was halfway through one, pushing a stroller and wondering where the toddler had gone. I was making "baby's first corn maze" jokes, and it hit me, it was probably my first too. I'd say Dmitri and I are on equal footing, but I was in uncomfortable boots, and he was taking it easy in a stroller. 

All week, our daughter has been reminding us we agreed to go to the pumpkin patch with them today. They had gone last year, and one-and-a-half year old Val loved it. I've usually acquired all my Halloween pumpkins either from a grocery store or my own garden, so I mostly shrugged and said sure, whatever. I didn't expect to have so much fun watching Valerie run around and take it all in. There were busloads of kindergarten and elementary school kids there, and she wanted so badly to take off in the same direction as the big kids. It was amusing watching her laser focus on them. 

There was a giant ring toss on a plywood cow, some giant drainage pipes to roll down a track (lined with hay bales), the aforementioned corn maze as well as a smaller hay maze, antique tractors (that they weren't allowed to climb on), and animals to see and/or pet (goats and rabbits). We bought three large pumpkins to carve this weekend, assuming the squirrels don't get to them on the porch before tomorrow.

Once we got home for babysitting time, it was not much of a fight to get Val down for a nap. She burned up a lot of energy in that pumpkin patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment