Saturday, October 22, 2022

Spooky Shower

Inspirational song: Hush (Deep Purple)

Of all the baby showers I've been to over the years, I'd say the one today ranked in the top five for decorating theme, and won outright for rowdiness and noise. I'm pretty sure our neighbors were the first of their peers to have kids, because not a one of the other guests knew to modulate their volume while we were there with the grandkids. They liked looking at our babies, and even holding Dmitri, but wow, did they compete with each other for who could be the loudest. There is going to be a reckoning one of these days, in roughly five weeks, and T is going to be the one paying the price for it all when they forget to shush.

Honestly, it wasn't just our kids who got a little overstimulated with the noise. I had a rough time with it myself. I just can't do big parties like that anymore. I stayed as long as I could, but I ducked out when my tank was empty. The parents-to-be had a good time, and that was what was important. We came home and set Val up to watch a movie and nap. Dmitri had a meltdown, and after 20 minutes of failing to calm him, I tapped out and let his grandfather have a go. It only took him five minutes to get Dmitri back to normal. Me, I ended up falling sound asleep in the chair, only to wake when our son-in-law came to take the kids home. Val was still conked out at that time, and she and I both had to work a bit to be fully awake.

I'm really excited to meet the neighbors' baby. I just know she will be adorable. There will be no shortage of aunties and uncles to help hold her on game nights, and at least half of us will be experienced baby-wranglers.

No comments:

Post a Comment