Monday, October 3, 2022

This Means Something

Inspirational song: Take the Long Way Home (Supertramp)

Ultimately I chose to take the northern interstate route home, and I am so glad I did. My original thought was how I hadn't driven through Sturgis since we lived in NoDak, almost two decades ago. Once I drove through on I-90, I had two thoughts. First, it has probably changed a whole lot in almost 20 years. Second, I don't think we took the interstate on that drive. I remember a lot more forested, twisty-turny roads. Still, I had fun taking that route. 

Then I crossed over into Wyoming. Oh, mama. Why didn't I know how gorgeous northeast Wyoming is? For real, the area just west of Sundance took my breath away. It was hilly and forested, and dressed in its fall colors, it was heart-stoppingly beautiful. I was on this different route so I could see where my friends bought near Casper, but I think if I were to get a hideaway ranch in Wyoming, it would be near Sundance. I saw the turnoff to Devils Tower, but there was so much road construction right there, I declined to go in search of it. Having seen how lovely it is, I may see whether the gang is interested in going up for a weekend in the future. Maybe next year for my birthday, I can convince them.

It's a good thing I didn't take the side trip. I zoned out driving west, and didn't remember I was supposed to cut the corner down to I-25 until almost Gillette. That's where I turned, crossing more beautiful land. By the time I was within half an hour of Casper, I was driving as gently as possible, trying to maximize how much I was traveling on full electric. I coasted in to a Loaf 'n' Jug north of Casper on fumes. My car did fantastic on fuel economy, for being a big heavy beastie. It averaged about the same as my little Focus did on the highway. But I really should have gased up when I stopped for French fries in Gillette.

It rained on me for most of the last hour plus, from north of Cheyenne until I was in my driveway. I've been tipped back in my recliner ever since, with as many cats as will fit on my lap for most of that time. I think Saoirse is mad at me. She doesn't seem to want to snuggle, and while my houseguest and I were standing and catching up, while I pulled laundry out of the dryer, Saoirse lay at their feet, not mine. It sure seemed like an effort to make me jealous. It worked, but I'm not telling her that.

No comments:

Post a Comment