Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Make Something

Inspirational song: You Ain't Woman Enough (Loretta Lynn)

As I told the lovely women leading our tour of the expansive "maker-space" complex today, I have never met an art or craft I didn't want to try, at least once. This tour did nothing to change my mind. If it can be made with one's hands, I want to try to make it with mine. 

I had no idea this space existed, until a few weeks ago when the club set up venues for our Rotary non-profit day out. We had a few options, and I didnt immediately get what the name "Tinker Mill" implied. Once it was described to me, I knew this was where I belonged. It is a maze of workspaces, shared by the 600 members of the collective. They offer classes to anyone, but members have unlimited use of the space and any tools they have been trained on. It covers everything from delicate jewelry-making, to pottery, to blacksmithing, to 3D printing. Every time we turned a corner, I was seeing new things I could try. Ooh, lampwork! Hey, a wood lathe! Laser cutter? Cool! They said our local space is one of the largest and most inclusive in the country. I couldn't begin to describe everything we saw today. Several of my friends and I are thinking seriously of a membership. To sweeten the deal, right next to the door is a free level 2 charger for electric vehicles. I plugged in right when I arrived, and my car that takes 26 hours to charge at home was done in just over 2 hours there. Woohoo!

I assume I will have a lot more free time to pick up new hobbies, or work on old ones at the maker space. They said today the sale of Twitter is back on, and for real, if that insufferable billionaire ruins it, I will be out of there as fast as when the catfishers tried to hook me on MySpace. (Logged out and never went back.) Something something one door closes window opens...

The only picture I took was on the way to the welding and blacksmithing barn. But Salvador was sending me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment