Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Between the Years

Inspirational song: Fly Like an Eagle (Steve Miller Band)

A couple of days ago, I saw someone post on Threads about the German phrase to describe the week between Christmas and New Years. It is "zwischen den jahren," or "between the years." How did I live in Germany as a child, study German language as a college student, and live 35 years with a man who also studied it, yet never encountered this most perfect of descriptions for this particular week? This whole week is unmoored from calculable time, and you can't find me anyone who will convince me otherwise. I am floating between the years, and enjoying it as much as I do for each out-of-time occurrence.

I'm bouncing between hard work and rest days. Yesterday was exhausting. Today my entire goal was to get a shower before our old college roommate showed up for game night. I succeeded, but just barely. I do have a couple of important things to attend to before the calendar flips over, but I honestly don't know whether it will happen.

We had five players total this evening. We had to pick a game to accommodate all of us (been sticking to 4-player games a lot lately), and we chose Wingspan. I have traditionally found this one difficult to master, and for the first several times we played it, I came in a distant last place. For the first time tonight, I did well through the entire game. Also for the first time, I actually won! I beat three of the toughest competitors I've ever known, against whom I rarely win anything. We also taught our housemate how to play, and they picked it up pretty well for the first time on a complex game. 

Usually during game night, Saoirse is banished to the garage to hang out with Murray. I'm fighting hard to win her the right to be with the group. She's not the obnoxious puppy she was when this habit started. She's sociable and well-behaved, and I want her with me all the time. She did well tonight, if by well I mean asking every person at the table to adore her endlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment