Friday, December 8, 2023

Spin Kick Johnny

Inspirational song: Fairytale of New York (The Pogues)

I've had some sleepless nights in my day. Wow, that was one of the sleepless-iest ones. Our girl took a very long time to fall asleep, once her grandpa and a video call to mommy got her calmed. I had tried to doze while I waited for them to come to bed, but it was difficult with a little man who insists on sleeping perpendicular to me in the bed (always) so he can put his warm little feet on me. Once the whole gang was present, I barely slept a wink from there. Grandpa didn't know that the Christmas tree was on a remote, not a timer, so there was a glow coming down the hallway all night. Dmitri was still when it was just us, but with four of us in one bed, he started spinning. There were kicks, crawls, rolls, cries, and several times I was backhanded in the face. I kid you not, I had a weird dream where I was in a physical altercation with some knife-weilding lunatic in a clown mask, and when Dmitri woke me up out of it, I was disappointed. I was so tired I would have rather dreamed of wrestling a knife away from an evil clown than watch the boy crawl all over my bed any more.

I was on my own for much of the morning, which was challenging both for my fatigue and for how sore I was from being shoved to the very edge of the bed, and lying there cramped up. My consolation was when Dmitri crashed out lying on my chest, and stayed out for like two hours. Val was pretty good about entertaining herself, and she is grown enough to know how to whisper when the need arises. 

Once my daughter's morning cleared up (after her replacement appliances were delivered and installed), we all went out to lunch downtown. Seeing the kids so glad to be back with their mommy after a night without her made the hard parts fade from my memory. They sparkle in her presence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment