Thursday, December 28, 2023

Cast Adrift

Inspirational song: Doctor, Doctor (Thompson Twins)

Does it count as a medical crisis to be told that your favorite doctor is suddenly no longer in network? I was leaving one medical checkup, with a provider who is unfailingly sweet and kind, and I received a phone call saying that my rheumatologist is no longer in my network. I can't process this in my brain. I rely heavily on her, and we have built a solid relationship over the last almost eight years. I don't know what I will do. And whose fault is this, anyway? Did corporate owners of the practice decide not to take my insurance, or did Tricare boot them out like they did all of the pharmacies last year? I don't know who it was who took over administration of Tricare several years back, but my suspicion is that they are the culprit. Things have gone rapidly and steadily downhill for years. As Mr S-P says, eroding yet more benefits from military retirees and spouses.

There are other rheumatologists here in town, including at UCHealth, which I know is in network (or at least it was--I'll have to check to see just how drastic this change is). It will even be more convenient for me, as I was driving to Northglenn to see my current doctor. I followed her when she started using that location as her primary, and stopped coming here, because I like her that much. I hope whoever I end up using from here is someone I can trust as much as this one. It usually takes months to get in with a rheumatologist. I guess I will self-pay for my appointment next month, so I don't go so long in between visits.

As for my other appointment, the one this afternoon, it was for my periodic skin check. I received an all clear. No new suspicious moles or bumps or anything else. She told me I was boring, and that was the best thing I could hear. She really is the kindest human, and I was so happy to walk out with the buzz from all that sweetness. Too bad the phone call ruined it.

No comments:

Post a Comment