Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Rolling with the Plan

Inspirational song: Happy Holiday / The Holiday Season (Andy Williams)

I am amazed at how polite and understanding people were at Walmart today. It's five days to Christmas, and people were still smiling and entirely pleasant in high traffic areas of the store. What a relief. I worried when I needed to go there that it would be a cranky nightmare. Instead there wasn't a frown in the place. It's a Christmas miracle.

My daughter and I have solidified the plan for the family meal on Christmas eve. I was meandering slowly through the grocery side, trying to imagine what non-starchy sides would be good, when I found myself staring at cans of fruit cocktail. I can't remember the last time I tried to make ambrosia salad...but I know when the next time will be. This ought to be fun. The spread will be smaller in all ways than Thanksgiving. Not as many dishes, and not as large quantities. We had way too much. This will be far simpler. I'm even planning more than one item from a can. Going to do homemade macaroni and cheese, though. Same with ginger-molasses cookies. 

Game night planning was a rollercoaster. First it was going to be just three people. Then it was up to a potential of nine adults, two kids, and an extra dog. When it settled back down to four adults, I was quite relieved. I was tired from shopping, and happy to sit and play a couple mellow rounds of Dice Forge. At least I got most of my panic cleaning done when I thought we would have a crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment