Sunday, December 31, 2023

Fortuna

Inspirational song: Firework (Katy Perry)

This was not the New Years Eve I try to have. There were more trials and tribulations than I prefer on this, my most superstitious night of the year. I was ill at ease for much of the day, and for at least a part of it, I bounced between furious and heartbroken. Without the aid of a mischievous little spirit, my night might have ended there. Instead, I was talked back from the precipice of fury, and passed the remainder of the evening peacefully playing games and eating birthday cake.

We tried to go watch little fireworks with the kids. That was before we discovered that the boxes purchased didn't hold fountains and sparklers, but rather confetti poppers. We were disappointed, but we made up for it roasting giant marshmallows around a fire pit. Eventually some years-old sparklers were located, so the kids got a few bright lights before bed.

I ended my night focused on very specific goals I want to achieve this year. They are nigh impossible, but I'm done with half measures. If I'm going to dream, I'm going to wish for what I have wanted for over half of my life. O, Fortuna. Smile on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment