Thursday, December 14, 2023

Southern Christmas

Inspirational song: Here We Come A-Wassailing (Traditional)

Sure, there are philosophical reasons you would think I shouldn't groove with Senior Disneyworld as much as I do, but not kidding, I really like it here. We were contemplating why that might be. I was thinking it was how good the signage is on the streets and shopping centers, for example, clearly labeled and laid out in such a way that even people with poor eyesight or other limitations can figure out where they are. My stepmother suggested maybe it was from how clean and well maintained everywhere is. I'm sure that's part of it too. Most of this place is as clean as the Disney park I compare it to. It reduces my stress, compared to the never-ending project where I live. I also felt such joy getting to return to a Publix again. I loved shopping there in South Carolina. King Soopers is great and all, but I did form an attachment during those SC years.

We did our limited gift exchange tonight. I brought small gifts for my older daughter and parents, and am saving the little kids' stuff until actual Christmas. Those three had gifts for us as well. My daughter made me a cool beaded brooch (in the shape of the CU buffalo), and my parents had family mementos and souvenirs from a recent trip to Israel for us. I was so excited to give my daughter the Christmas sweater I acquired last weekend when I ran up to see some friends in Loveland last weekend. (The husband is in a band my daughter likes and they had sweaters made with the band logo, which was super cool.) 

My older daughter has been talking about getting back to proficient in violin again, enough to get involved in a community orchestra like she is with her trumpet in community band. My dad had bought a violin a few years ago, but never really picked it up as well as he had hoped, so he offered it to her instead. She was thrilled, and immediately went out to tune it up and try a few notes.

The kids showed us how they are totally ready for gift exchanges next week. Last year Val barely showed interest in tearing packages open. This year she was into it, and Dmitri demonstrated an advanced skill at paper-tearing. That one is gonna be a terror. I think I'm glad I haven't wrapped their presents back home yet. He would destroy them. He has been knowingly sneaky this week. He's going to be the kid who slices the tape open to peek in the future, isn't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment