Saturday, March 30, 2024

Before the Rain

Inspirational song: Eye of the Tiger (Survivor)

We had one last chance to get out and about before the weather turned. For all that my daughter has lived here for years, she really hasn't made all that many trips to the beach. She was determined to get us there this trip. There was something about making my feet touch salt water, and honestly, if it could help take down the massive swelling of my feet and ankles, I was gonna stand there for a good long while. If there was some relief, it didn't last long. My lower limbs are still swollen to maybe twice their normal size.

We had one last plant shop to try, one I'd seen featured in two separate plant videos on YouTube in the last year. This one was in Hollywood, and I really thought I'd find my big three there. I did not find a single one. As I wandered around, getting more and more depressed, my daughter asked me if I was going to at least buy something, just to prove I was there. Yes, I did. I bought a beautiful tiny porcelain planter with dainty purple flowers on it, and a small hoya kroniana silver. It wasn't one of the plants I was seeking, but it was a pretty one at a decent price. I have hope that it will be a good one.

While we were at the plant shop, talking about how stupid parking was, a lovely woman a few years older than me joined our conversation briefly. She was very nice and funny and as she walked away, I figured out that it was comedic roles I'd seen her in. In the back of my mind, I was pretty sure her first name was Amy. I pulled up IMDB, and just searched on actresses named Amy until I found her picture. She was the woman who played Marian in Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and she was married to John Ritter before he died. I like finding out when people I've heard of are kind. It probably helped that we didn't react to her as if we were celebrity-chasing.

From there, we gave up on plant shops. We found a cool little occult shop called The Green Man, and since I have a long-running fondness for that particular archetype, we had to go there. We loaded up on incense and shiny rocks and the sorts of things two little goblins like us go for. We went to one more rock shop after that, and a couple more pretties followed me out of there. No manjula pothos came my way this trip, but I have several new palm and worry stones.

And now we are under a flash flood watch, and thunderstorms are rolling through. No more sightseeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment