Thursday, March 14, 2024

Burn It All

Inspirational song: Rock of Ages (Def Leppard)

Who here needed a pyrography day? Just me?

I decided it was time to work on the custom wooden trellis I want for my global green pothos to climb, and I wanted it to feel very personal. I chose three plants that are in my field of vision every day, and I took pictures of three of the best leaves. I used an alocasia black velvet, a hoya carnosa krimson princess, and a philodendron brasil. I traced the wood blanks they will go on, and sketched them out on paper. I then taped the paper to the blanks, and traced the lines with a lot of pressure, to transfer the marks to the wood. (That part actually hurt a lot.) Then I lightly went over the lines in pencil on the wood, so I could see better.

I haven't done pyrography in a few years. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to find my wood burning tools, but they were easier to locate than I expected. Most of them, that is. I only had three tips, and I sure thought I had more. It took a little practice to get the hang of it again, but I think I'm pleased with the results. I'll look at them again tomorrow, and reassess before I permanently affix them to a stake to make the trellis.

No comments:

Post a Comment