Monday, March 25, 2024

Wholesale

Inspirational song: If I Had a Million Dollars (Barenaked Ladies)

Land underneath the electric power transmission lines appears to rent for cheaper than other available industrial real estate in this part of Los Angeles. As you drive along the power lines, you see wholesale plant nurseries one after another on those properties. I mean, if you have a business model that works, heck yeah, work that system. 

We started the day at a hip local plant store called Plantitas. They were nice, but they didn't have any of the specific plants I intended to buy on this trip. I'm in search of manjula pothos, hoya linearis, and the particular myrtilocactus known colloquially as a boobie cactus. I also want to pick up a variety of very small aeoniums in different colors. All I bought at Plantitas was a cute terracotta pot for 8 bucks. Then we went to Rosales nursery, under the power lines, and holy hand grenade, that was geranium heaven! I'm not in the market for one, but my daughter got the prettiest dark maroon geranium, and a gorgeous orange gerbera daisy. I found a cool sanseveria and a couple pretty succulents. Our grand total combined was 20 dollars. She wondered out loud whether she will ever go into another plant store after realizing that they just buy from these folks and then mark the prices up.

We did end up doing a little more plant shopping before we gave up, mostly because she told me that the dollar stores here have a good selection of succulents (surprisingly), and we kept trying Home Depots in search of that elusive manjula. At the last one, I found a pothos that might be it. It was in a pot labeled epipremnum HI Gold, and that might mean it's a golden pothos of the large Hawaiian variety. However, the leaf shape was rounder, more like the classic spade shape on a deck of cards not spearhead like a golden pothos. The nursery pot didn't fit properly inside the wick and grow pot it was sitting in, and there was no wick hanging into the reservoir. We think it could have been a manjula, but are not 100% certain. I bought it anyway, and worst case scenario I grow it up a pole and it's just a Hawaiian golden pothos. 

There will be other opportunities to find the things I'm after. We haven't even hit the place in Hollywood that I have wanted to go to since last fall. I still have a chance of finding the big three.

No comments:

Post a Comment