Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Adjusting

Inspirational song: Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitude (Jimmy Buffett)

In preparation for burrowing in again, I have taken all of the age-appropriate paraphernalia from this house over to the kids, so it gets used before the grandbaby has outgrown it. I surrendered clothes in six to nine months size, the stash of size-two diapers, formula and jarred foods, and teething rings. It was difficult handing over the long-sleeve onesie decorated like a football (dark brown with a screen print of laces down the front). I had hopes of watching CU games with the little one wearing it. Ah, 2020 was so full of surprises.

I popped in to see Dino when I brought the stuff, thinking I could just be in and out. But she missed me, and she was so insistent on being held. She yanked down my mask, and kept grabbing my face. She cried when her mommy tried to take her away from me. My heart was breaking, but this is the way it has to be for the time being. I will get to see her briefly when we exchange Thanksgiving dishes, but that will also be in passing. (We are each cooking a few items, and then sharing them, going back to eat in our own homes.)

I missed the first hour of game night, to go to a make-up class for Saoirse's training. I missed week five for having a migraine, so we got a little one-on-one time with the instructor to go over that stuff. We registered for intermediate and advanced classes, and got guidance on how to do it safely. (The instructor said as long as we stay distanced in the open-air class space, and not close for fifteen minutes at a time, we will be good.) 

I feel like suddenly things are changing, but now I worry I didn't prepare enough, despite doing something toward that end every day for the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment