Saturday, November 14, 2020

Graduation Day

Inspirational song: Pomp and Circumstance (Sir Edward Elgar)

The final session of puppy training class was this evening. We ran through many of the skills we learned along the way, practiced a few new ones, and talked about our plans for the next level of education. I'm somewhat wistful now. Saoirse did so well all through this class. When it started she was wiggly and squirmy and didn't want to pay attention. Now a month and a half later, she felt like the star student. She's not perfect--after all, she's just a four month old puppy. But wow, she grew and matured and learned so much. I'm most proud of how well she greets other dogs, both her classmates and the random stranger dogs out in the main store of Petsmart. Where we need practice: come when called.

We have to do one make up class on Wednesday evening, because I was out with the migraine last week, but she already knew one of the big skills from last week (lie down). We tried shake a couple times, and she tolerated me grabbing her paw, but never offered it. We can work on that. The trainer said we could choose whether to go to an intermediate class or tricks class after this. To stovepipe into a service dog route, she recommended intermediate for Saoirse. So that's what we will do promptly.

We went by the magic window closest to Petsmart on the way home, but it was 7:15 on a Saturday night. The line at the drive-through was long and orders were backed up. We had to park with 8 or 10 other cars. Saoirse thought she had been betrayed when we only got a coke at the magic window and no fries, even though she could smell them. Eventually her fries showed up, along with the nuggets I was taking to my daughter on her request. I made the dog wait until we got to my daughter's driveway. We stayed in the car and the girls came out to us. We visited for a little bit, masked since both I and my son-in-law have been under the weather this week. Saoirse and I were so happy to see the girls, and wow did that baby like seeing her doggie. I let my daughter give Saoirse exactly one chicken nugget, as a graduation present. I hope I don't come to regret that in a closed bedroom tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment